Thursday, July 16, 2009

What's your Indian name? Facebook gets Lightweight.


I have to say, I find it ironic that Facebook kicks off real Indians whose names they don't think fit their "real world culture," but they will make up a fake Indian name for anyone who wants one.

For instance, Robin Kills the Enemy had her account deactivated by Facebook, who told her that "fake names" violate their terms of use.

She had to fax them a copy of her passport before they would reactivate her profile. When they did, she started a Facebook group, "Facebook: don't discriminate against Native surnames!!!" It's got about 4,800 members right now. She's not the only one who's had this problem.

Meanwhile, I see Facebook has a survey application they call "What's your Native American Indian name?"

So I guess if you don't have a real Indian name they'll give you one.
But don't expect to start a profile with that name.

I, of course, had to try it for myself. According to my preference of colors, seasons, where I'd like my ashes scattered, and how I like to camp - apparently my Indian name is "Rain Pebble."

Well, it's not as offensive as it could have been, but come on - rain pebble? That's not a real thing.
On the other hand, the little description that came with it reads,

"You are calm and collective, you are able to see past the troubles life may bring. You are always prepared and have things planned out."

Hey, that's actually kinda true.

No comments:

Post a Comment